I had originally designed a Watermelon shirt, but once I got started on the project, I decided it would be so much fun as a beach cover up.
So, I made a few small tweaks and I’m loving the finished piece!
This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing through these links, I will receive a small commission for bringing you the link. This is at no extra cost to you. Affiliate links and ads provide a way for me to bring you free patterns.
It’s pretty late in the Summer season, so I’ve decided to forego sizing this pattern and instead I’m just going to give you a tutorial of how I made this one. It’s intended for a size 4 (4 year old), but it will easily fit on a 2 year old (it will just be longer), plus it is stretchy enough to fit over a slim or average 6 year old.
Let’s get started!
Watermelon Swimsuit Cover
Sport Weight 100% Cotton Yarn (#2)
- Black (50 yds)
- Pink (150yds)
- White (20yds)
- Green (30yds)
2 – 1″ Buttons
12.5 sts x 8.5 rows = 4″
Front Panel = 18.75″ L
Back Panel = 20.5″L
Widest Point = 11″
4T/ 4yo (See paragraph above)
arnd = around
ch = chain
dec = decrease
hdc = half double crochet
sc = single crochet
sl st(s) = slip stitch(es)
st(s) = stitch(es)
WRITTEN IN U.S. TERMS
- Beginning chains do not count as stitches
- After round 2 the cover is separated into four sections: 2 shoulder strap (short sides) and the front panel/back panel (long sides).
- The back panel is longer than the front panel.
- 8mm hook is used for the main portion; 10mm hook is used for the edging.
- To size for larger covers, you will need to add at least 4 to your beginning chain, to make the panels wider and shoulder straps longer.
Decrease (dec) = insert hook in 1st stitch, draw up a loop, insert hook in next stitch, draw up a loop, yarn over, draw through all loops on hook.
PANEL – 8mm Hook
1. Fsc 48, join to form a ring (48) [Take beginning tail and sew gap together]
2. sc x 7, 3 sc, sc x 8, 3 sc, sc x 14, 3 sc, sc x 8, 3 sc, sc x 7 (56)
3. sc x 8, 3 sc, sc x 10, 3 sc, sc x 16, 3 sc, sc x10, 3 sc, sc x 8 (64)
4. sc x 9, 3 sc, sc x 12, 3 sc, sc x 18, 3 sc, sc x 12, 3 sc, sc x 9 (72); Break yarn
5. Attach yarn to middle sc of corner on one long side, sc in same space and all the way across to the middle sc of next corner, turn (22)
6. Ch 1, sc across, turn (22)
7. Ch 1, hdc across, turn (22)
8-10. Repeat row 7 (22)
11. Ch 1, 2 hdc, hdc x 20, 2 hdc, turn (24)
12. Ch 1, 2 hdc, hdc x 22, 2 hdc, turn (26)
13. Ch 1, hdc across, turn (26)
14-34. Repeat row 13
35. Ch 1, dec, sc x 22, dec, turn (24)
36. Ch 1, dec, sc x 20, dec, turn (22)
37. Ch 1, dec, sc x 18, dec, turn (20)
38. Ch 1, dec, sc x 16, dec; Fasten (18) [Back Panel Created]
Repeat these same instructions for the Front Panel, only repeating row 13 to 31 rows before decreasing. This makes the Front Panel 3 rows shorter.
RIND TRIM – 10mm Hook
1. Attach yarn to row 6 (black), LOOSELY sl st in the end of each row down the side, in each st across the bottom, and the end of each row up the other side, sl st to row 6, turn
2. Ch 1, sc in the front loop/outside loop of each sl st, putting 2 sc x 2 in the curve near the bottom (once on each side) [this prevents cinching & curling], turn
3. Ch 1, sc in each st around, placing 2 sc x 2 in the curves around the bottom (once on each side), turn
4-6. Repeat row 3; Fasten at the end of row 6.
Repeat these instructions on other panel.
- Sew buttons to front panel, over green trim, at approximately row 18 (about halfway down).
- Thread needle with black, wrap around stitch four times, cut ends & tie tails together. Place these “seeds” in desired locations randomly around the front and back panels.
- Hide all strings.
Hope to see you there!!
Written pattern and photographs © 2018 Sonya Blackstone of Blackstone Designs. Please do not sell, share, or modify this pattern, but instead share the link to where the pattern can be found. You may sell items you make with this pattern. This pattern, as with all Blackstone Designs/Sonya Blackstone patterns, are not for educational use without written permission from the designer.
Sonya Blackstone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.