Here’s another great free square pattern!
This post contains affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, I may receive a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links, which helps me to keep bringing awesome free content!
This Primrose square measures 6″ when using an H hook. This square is simple, beautiful, and feminine. It would be perfect for projects like shawls, bags, or even clothing trim. And of course, it would look great in an afghan!
This pattern calls for worsted weight yarn. Here are a few great option (and they’re also on sale!): Cascade 220 – 100% Peruvian Highland Wool, Lion Brand Heartland – 100% Acrylic, and Universal Classic Worsted – Wool and Acrylic Blend.
Worsted Weight Yarn
- Color A
- Color B
ch = chain
ehdc = extended half double crochet
dc = double crochet
sc = single crochet
sl st = slip stitch
sp = space
trc = treble crochet
Extended Half Double Crochet (ehdc) = YO, insert hook in stitch, YO, draw up a loop, pull through 1st loop on hook, YO, pull through both loops on hook.
1. Ch 6, join to form a ring
2. Ch 3 (counts as dc), 11 dc in ring, sl st to join in top of beg ch-3 (12)
3. *Ch 4, sk 1 st, sl st to next* arnd, sl st to join in beg ch-4 sp
4. (Ch 2, ehdc, ch 1, 2 ehdc) in same ch-4 sp, ch 1, *(2ehdc, ch 1, 2ehdc) in next ch-4 sp, ch 1* arnd, sl st to join in top of beg ch-2 sp
5. sl st to next dc, sl st to ch-1 sp, ch 2 (counts as ehdc), ehdc x 6, ch 1, sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, *7 ehdc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1* arnd, sl st to top of beg ch-2
With Color B,
6. Ch 4 (counts as trc), trc in same sp, ch 3, sc in 4th ehdc, ch 3, *2 trc in sc, ch 3, sc in 4th ehdc, ch 3* arnd, sl st to join in top of beg ch-4
7. Ch 1, sc in same sp, sc in trc, 3 sc in ch-3 sp, sc in sc, (2 sc, ch 1, 2 sc) in next ch-3 sp, 3 sc in next ch-3 sp, *sc in both trc, 3 sc in ch- sp, sc in sc, 3 sc in ch-3 sp, sc in both trc, (2 sc, ch 1, 2 sc) in ch-3 sp, sc in sc, 3 sc in ch-3 sp* 3X, sl st to join in 1st sc
8. Ch 1, sc in same sp, sc in each sc arnd, 3 sc in each ch-1 corner sp, sl st to join in 1st sc
9. Ch 2 (counts as ehdc), ehdc in each sc arnd, 2 ehdc in middle sc of each corner, sl st to join in top of beg ch-2. Fasten.
Thanks again to Cecelia from The Palmetto Hooker for this awesome square!
I hope you enjoyed this pattern! Let me know what you think in the comments. Join my Blackstone Designs Crochet Community group on Facebook to stay up to date, receive special offers, pattern support, and so much more!
Written Pattern © 2015 Sonya Blackstone of Blackstone Designs. Please do not sell, share, or modify this pattern, but instead share the link to where the pattern can be found. You may sell items you make with this pattern. This pattern, as with all Blackstone Designs/Sonya Blackstone patterns, are not for educational use without written permission from the designer.