During my square designing kick, I first made the Native Sun Square which had great texture. It was followed the Mingle Square and the Primrose Square, which are equally as beautiful, but lacking the textures; So I knew I had to make another that just “popped”.
Presenting: Victorian Romance Square
This post contains affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, I may receive a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links, which helps me to keep bringing awesome free content!
The design to this 6″ square reminds me of Victorian era decor. Plus the pop stitches look like hearts!
This square would be great for many projects, but I definitely like it for an afghan.
This pattern calls for worsted weight yarn. Here are a few great option (and they’re also on sale!): Cascade 220 – 100% Peruvian Highland Wool, Lion Brand Heartland – 100% Acrylic, and Universal Classic Worsted – Wool and Acrylic Blend.
Worsted Weight Yarn
- Color A
- Color B
ch = chain
Pop = Popcorn
dc = double crochet
sc = single crochet
sl st = slip stitch
sp = space
trc = treble crochet
Beginning Popcorn (b.pc) = Ch 3 + 4 dc in same space, remove hook from stitch, insert hook from front to back in beginning ch-3, grab the dropped loop from last dc, and pull through ch-3
Popcorn (pc) = 5 dc in same space, remove hook from stitch, insert hook from front to back in 1st dc made, grab the dropped loop from last dc, and pull through 1st dc
1. Ch 4, join to form a ring
2. Ch 5 (counts as dc and ch 2), (dc, ch 2) 7x in ring, sl st to 3rd ch of beg ch-5
3. (b.pc, ch 2, pc), ch 2, dc in next ch-2 sp, ch 2, *(pc, ch 2, pc), ch 2, dc, ch 2* 3X, sl st to top of b.pc
4. sl st to ch-2 sp (between pcs), (b.pc, ch 2, pc), ch 3, 3 dc in dc, ch 3, *(pc, ch 2, pc), ch 3, 3 dc in dc, ch 3* arnd, sl st to b.pc
5. sl st to ch-2 sp (between pcs), (b.pc, ch 2, pc), ch 3, 5 dc in center dc, ch 3, *(pc, ch 2, pc), ch 3, 5 dc in center dc, ch 3* arnd, sl st to b.pc
6. sl st to ch-2 sp (between pcs), [Ch 4 (counts as trc), 2 trc, ch 2, 3 trc], 3 dc in next ch-3 sp, dc in each dc, 3 dc in ch-3 sp, *(3 trc, ch 2, 3 trc), 3 dc in ch-3 sp, dc in each dc, 3 dc in ch-3 sp,* 3X, sl st to beg ch-4
7. Ch 1, sc in each st arnd, 3 sc in each ch-2 corner sp, sl st to 1st sc. Fasten.
I hope you enjoyed this pattern! Let me know what you think in the comments. Join my Blackstone Designs Crochet Community group on Facebook to stay up to date, receive special offers, pattern support, and so much more!
Written Pattern © 2015 Sonya Blackstone of Blackstone Designs. Please do not sell, share, or modify this pattern, but instead share the link to where the pattern can be found. You may sell items you make with this pattern. This pattern, as with all Blackstone Designs/Sonya Blackstone patterns, are not for educational use without written permission from the designer.
Sonya Blackstone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.