Do you like cowls as much as I do? Then you’re going to LOVE this pattern!
The Watercolor Cowl has so many possibilities! First of all, you can get TWO of these gorgeous cowls (including the fringe) from ONE cake!!! Isn’t that awesome?
This post contains affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, I may receive a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links, which helps me to keep bringing awesome free content!
The cowl is also completely reversible, with both sides being equally as beautiful!
It’s unisex, and looks great on the guys too!
Sample from Crochet Creations by Brandi Aldrich
Plus, it can be worn as a poncho on children & young adults (I would say up to age 14/Women’s XS).
Sample made by Pammy’s Bare Beanies
And these cowls both coming from the same cake means matching sets! Think His and Hers, Mommy & Me, Sisters, Best Friends… etc.
Sample made by Village Knits
Sample made by Crafty Mommy Jenni
Sample made by Yarn Medley’s from the Heart
Here’s how to make your own:
Lion Brand Mandala (Light Weight Yarn [#3])
Not important for this project
One size fits most
arnd = around
BLO = back loop only
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
sk = skip
sl st(s) = slip stitch(es)
st(s) = stitch(es)
Written in U.S. Terms
- Beginning chains do not count as stitches.
- This pattern is written so it is worked in the round with joins and chains. However, it can be worked in continuous rounds (with no joins or beginning chains/seamless).
- Cowl is worked from the bottom up.
- Two cowls with fringe can be made from one cake of Lion Brand Mandala.
1. Fsc 80 join to form a circle, being careful not to twist (move to step 2) OR Ch 80, join chain to form a circle, being careful not to twist the chain; sc in each ch arnd, sl st to join in 1st sc, do not turn (80)
2. Ch 1, BLO sc in each st arnd, sl st to join in 1st sc, do not turn (80)
3-22. Repeat round 2
23. Ch 1, *sk 1, BLO sc x 3* arnd, sl st to join in 1st sc, do not turn (60)
24. Ch 1, BLO sc in each st arnd, sl st to join in 1st sc, do not turn (60)
25-40. Repeat round 24
41. Ch 1, *sk 1, BLO sc x 2* arnd, sl st to join in 1st sc, do not turn (40)
42. Ch 1, BLO sc in each st arnd, sl st to join in 1st sc, do not turn (40)
43-50. Repeat round 42; Fasten at the end of round 50. (40)
Cut 80 – 10.5”/27cm pieces.
Add fringe, two strands at a time, to every other stitch across the bottom.
Hope to see you there!!
Written pattern and photographs © 2017 Sonya Blackstone of Blackstone Designs. Please do not sell, share, or modify this pattern, but instead share the link to where the pattern can be found. You may sell items you make with this pattern. This pattern, as with all Blackstone Designs/Sonya Blackstone patterns, are not for educational use without written permission from the designer.
Blackstone Designs is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.