Originally posted 7/2014 on Blogger
I came up with this Yarn Ball Stress Reliever pattern a while ago, but as usual so many things have come up and the typing of the pattern hit the back burner! On a good note, I’m giving it to you now! 🙂
This post contains affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, I may receive a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links for bringing you the link.
This thing is a big hit in my house! It feels great on my hands, it exercises them and relieves the tension, plus my boys LOVE throwing it around. Bonus, the stitches are nice and tight, so I don’t have to worry about an explosion lol
First, you will need to decide what you prefer to use for stuffing. You can use simple fiberfill as I have listed in the materials, but you can also use a store bought stress ball or you can make one using a balloon and cornstarch (as I used).
If using a balloon and cornstarch: You need party balloons (not water balloons, because they are too thin and will break open), 2/3-1 cup of cornstarch, and a mini funnel. Stick the funnel into the neck of the balloon and funnel the cornstarch down inside. Tie off balloon. Optional: For added security, place this balloon inside another balloon and tie off.
Yarn Ball Stress Reliever
Worsted Weight Yarn (#4)
~Any Color [30 yards]
Not important for this project
Approximately 2.75” diameter / 8.5”circumference
arnd = around
ch = chain
hdc = half double crochet
sl st(s) = slip stitch(es)
st(s) = stitch(es)
Surface sl st(s) = See Special Stitches
TLO = See Special Stitches
WRITTEN IN U.S. TERMS
- Beginning chains do not count as stitches.
- This pattern is worked in the round (no joining or chaining unless specified).
- Instructions appearing between asterisks should be repeated as indicated.
Third Loop Only (TLO): The loop that runs parallel to the back side of a hdc; aka camel stitch.
Surface Slip Stitches: Working slip stitches across the surface of a project.
1. Make a magic ring, ch 1, 8 hdc in ring (8)
2. In TLO: 2 hdc in each st arnd (16)
3. In TLO: *2 hdc, hdc* arnd (24)
4. In TLO: *2 hdc, hdc x 2* arnd (32)
5. In TLO: *2 hdc, hdc x 3* arnd (40)
6. In TLO: hdc in each st arnd (40)
7-8. Repeat round 6
9. In TLO: *dec, hdc x 3* arnd (32)
10. In TLO: *dec, hdc x 2* arnd (24)
Insert stuffing (or other stress ball) here and continue the next steps working around it
11. In TLO: *dec, hdc* arnd (16)
12. In TLO: dec arnd (8)
13. LOOSELY surface sl st up the back, across the top, and down the front to the starting point.
14-15. Repeat 12 working parallel to the others
16. LOOSELY surface sl st up the back, across the top, and then halfway down the front, surface sl st across the last 3 surface sl sts and then finish surface sl sts down the front. Ch 11, sl st across ch, sl st to bottom of ball; Fasten.
- Hide all strings.
I hope you love these as much as I do! Join my Blackstone Designs Crochet Community group on Facebook to stay up to date, receive special offers, pattern support, and so much more! Hope to see you there!
Written Pattern © 2014 Sonya Blackstone of Blackstone Designs. Please do not sell, share, or modify this pattern, but instead share the link to where the pattern can be found. You may sell items you make with this pattern. This pattern, as with all Blackstone Designs/Sonya Blackstone patterns, are not for educational use without written permission from the designer.
Sonya Blackstone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.