I have always loved coloring! I find it to be relaxing, but also a great expression of creativity. I have always encouraged my kids to color too, even as teenagers.
This post contains affiliate links
By purchasing through these product links, I will receive a small commission for bringing you the link. This is at no extra cost to you.
Back in the Fall of 2013, as school was starting up, I wanted to design something “back to school” related. It was then that I got out a box of crayons and realized how our crayon boxes always end up mangled.
We needed something to protect the box, so I made this cute little pouch. It’s a fun way for kids to store their crayons! It can be used as a cover for your box of crayons or it can hold the crayons out of the box. Simply pull the tie strings and turn it into a pouch!
Here’s how to make one:
Get the Ad-free PDF on:
Worsted Weight Yarn (#4)
- Bright Green
- Bright Blue
- Optional: Rainbow Variegated
Not important for this project
Approximately 4.5” tall.
Fits a 24 pack box, or 32 individual crayons.
ch = chain
dec = decrease
sc = single crochet
Written in U.S. Terms
- Beginning chain does not count as a stitch
- This pouch consists of 7 crayons + one bottom piece all sewn together
Crayons (Make 7)
1. Ch 5, sc in 2nd ch from hook and across, turn (4)
2. Ch 1 sc across, turn (4)
3-4. Repeat row 2
5-14. Repeat row 2
15-16. Repeat row 2
17-18. Repeat row 2
19. Ch 1, dec x 2, turn (2)
20. Ch 1, sc across, turn (2)
21. Ch 1, dec; Fasten. (1)
1. Ch 5, sc in 2nd ch and across, turn (4)
2. Ch 1, sc across, turn
3-14. Repeat row 2; Fasten at the end of row 14.
Ch 75. Fasten.
- Hold crayons right sides/front sides together, thread needle with black yarn, and sew up the sides (making a long strip of 7 crayons). Sew the 1st crayon & last crayon together.
- Leaving pouch inside out, decide which crayons you want on the front/back and which two crayons will be the sides. Hold row 1 of the bottom base to the bottom of either side crayon and sew across. Line the front/back crayons with the side edge of the bottom strip and sew in place. Sew other side crayon to last row of bottom strip, the sew front/back crayons to the other side of bottom strip.
- Starting at Front Center Crayon: Begin by inserting tie between stitches 2 & 3 of row 15, continue weaving in & out of of the stitches of row 15 around each crayon.
- Hide all strings.
- Optional: With Black Puffy Paint, write “Crayons” on the front of the pouch. For a cleaner finish, write the word “Crayons” on a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap. Allow to dry completely, then peel the word off, and glue to the front of the pouch.
Do you love it? Let me know!
Hope to see you there!!
Written pattern and photographs © 2013 Sonya Blackstone of Blackstone Designs. Please do not sell, share, or modify this pattern, but instead share the link to where the pattern can be found. You may sell items you make with this pattern. This pattern, as with all Blackstone Designs/Sonya Blackstone patterns, are not for educational use without written permission from the designer.
Sonya Blackstone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.