I did a thing… a thing I said I’d never do… I designed a blanket! It’s a chunky crochet blanket.
I know, I know, never say never.
You see, I had a box full of Lion Brand Hometown yarn and the original intended project didn’t work out, so I had to think of something else. A blanket seemed like the best choice and I am so glad I went this route!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, from purchases made through affiliate links.
The Close to Home Chunky Crochet Blanket was so fast, I made it in an evening! The yarn is super bulky and the stitch work is basically double crochet, so the time went by in a blink.
Did I mention it is super warm and cozy?
The yarn I used is also pretty dense, so I think this would work well as a weighted blanket. You can easily make it wider and longer to add more weight.
Excited to make one for yourself? Follow the instructions below:
Super Bulky Weight Yarn (#6)
- Pink (A) [30oz / 500yds]
- White (B) [10 oz / 160yds]
- Gray (C) [10 oz / 160yds]
N/P 10.00mm Crochet Hook
4 V-sts x 5 rows = 5″
34.5″ W x 41″ L (before fringe)
ch = chain
CL = See Special Stitches
dc = double crochet
st(s) = stitch(es)
V-st = See Special Stitches
YO = Yarn Over
Written in U.S. Terms
>>Looking for other uses for Super Bulky Weight (#6) yarn? Check out my whole line of Character Baskets!
- Beginning ch-2 counts as the first stitch of each row.
- Where asterisks appear, repeat the instructions between them.
- For cluster rows: ch-1 LOOSELY between them.
- When changing colors: cut the tails, leaving them approximately 6″ long. These will be knotted off and hid among the other fringe.
- This pattern is worked in multiples of 6. To adjust the width of this blanket, the beginning ch needs to be a multiple of 6.
- See chart for approximate afghan sizes.
Cluster (CL) = *YO, insert hook in stitch indicated, YO, draw up a loop, YO pull through two loops on hook* 3X, YO, draw through remaining loops on hook.
V stitch (V-st) = (dc, ch 1, dc) in the same space.
With Color A,
R1. Ch 84, sk 3 chs (counts as 1st dc + skipped ch), V-st in the 4th ch, *sk 2 chs, V-st in the next* across, sk 1 ch, dc in the last ch, turn
R2. Ch 2 (counts as dc), V-st in ch-1 space of each V-st across, dc in top of ch-2, turn
R3-7. Repeat R2.
With Color B,
R8. Ch 2 (counts as dc), *CL in ch-1 space of V-st, ch 1* across, dc in top of ch-2, turn
With Color C,
R9. Ch 2 (counts as dc), *CL in top of CL, ch 1* across, dc in top of ch-2, turn
R10-R12. Repeat R9, alternating between colors B & C.
With Color A,
R13. Ch 2 (counts as dc), V-st in top of each CL across, turn
R14. Ch 2 (counts as dc), Ch 2 (counts as dc), V-st in ch-1 space of each V-st across, dc in top of ch-2, turn
R15-19. Repeat R14.
>>Continue to repeat steps 8-19 until you’ve reached your desired length.
For the blanket shown, I stopped at row 43. I also changed my middle cluster stripe, so it started with color C instead of B. This is optional, but will help to use even amounts of colors B & C.
- Where there are row ends with long tails: Insert hook down the bottom-center of the dc or ch-2, pull tail halfway through, creating a loop. Pull the loose end of the yarn tail through that loop and pull it tight to create a knot. This will fasten it in place.
- Add fringe to the top-center of each of the same row ends (where long tails from colors changes were turned into fringe) and in the remaining unworked row ends.
- Trim tails so they are all the same length.
Come on over and join the Blackstone Designs Crochet Community on Facebook for fun CALs and Giveaways, plus exclusive sales, pattern support, and so much more!
You can also tag me on Instagram with your finished Blackstone Designs patterns for a chance to be shared on my stories!
Hope to see you there!
Written pattern and photographs © 2019 Sonya Blackstone of Blackstone Designs. Please do not sell, share, or modify this pattern, but instead share the link to where the pattern can be found. You may sell items you make with this pattern. This pattern, as with all Blackstone Designs/Sonya Blackstone patterns, are not for educational use without written permission from the designer.
Sonya Blackstone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.