It’s finally Summer (well, almost). I dream of days crocheting on the beach, while my kids play (and leave me to my crafty ventures!). I also look forward to walking the shores and exploring. And that’s how the “Pocket Full of Sunshine” came to be!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.
One thing I hate about the beach is carrying around the big ol’ beach bag. Sure, it’s fine when we’re there to lounge and swim, but what about just walking along the sand? All I need is a small pouch for some important things, like my phone and keys.
This is also the perfect bag for kids to collect seashells or even sand glass!
>>Get the Ad-free PDF on Ravelry<<
Not important for this project
Approx. 5.75″ diameter before adding rays
arnd = around
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
Dtr = See Special Stitches
hdc = half double crochet
RS = right side
sc = single crochet
sl st(s) = slip stitch(es)
trc = treble crochet
Ttr = See Special Stitches
WS = wrong side
WRITTEN IN U.S. TERMS
- Join and turn where indicated only
- Handle is written for child size, with adult size in parenthesis.
- Finished measurement will vary depending on yarn used
Double Treble (Dtr) = YO 3X, insert hook in stitch indicated, YO, draw up a loop, *draw through 2 loops* 4X
Triple Treble (Ttr) = YO 4X, insert hook in stitch indicated, YO, draw up a loop, *draw through 2 loops* 5X
BASE (Make 2)
Work in continuous rounds,
1. Make adjustable ring, ch 1, 6 sc in ring (6)
2. 2 sc in each st arnd (12)
3. *2 sc, sc* arnd (18)
4. *2 sc, sc x 2* arnd (24)
5. *2 sc, sc x 3* arnd (30)
6. *2 sc, sc x 4* arnd (36)
7. *2 sc, sc x 5* arnd (42)
8. *2 sc, sc x 6* arnd (48)
9. *2 sc, sc x 7* arnd (54)
10. *2 sc, sc x 8* arnd (60)
If you prefer the bag bigger, continue increasing here (must be a multiple of 6).
Lay base pieces RS together (WS out). Place a stitch marker through one stitch of both layers. Count over 17 sts and insert another stitch marker, going through both layers.
1. Attach yarn to stitch next to second stitch marker; sc in same space and in next 41 sts, turn (42 sc)
2. *Ch 7, hdc in 3rd ch from hook, dc in next, trc in next, dtr in next, ttr in last ch, sk 4 sts on base, slip st x 2* across (7 Rays)
3. Remove stitch markers, sc in each st arnd the opening of the pouch, sl st to 1st st
4. *Ch 7, hdc in 3rd ch from hook, dc in next, trc in next, dtr in next, ttr in last ch, sk 4 sts on base, slip st x 2* 3X (working across the opening on the front side only), sl st to join in base of 1st ray created around the outside. Fasten. (3 Rays)
Ch 91(121), working in back bump: sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Fasten. (90)
This strap can be adjusted as desired.
*Sew strap to inside on back base piece, all the way against the edge of the opening on both sides, so the RS is attached to the back base and the WS is facing the front.
*Hide all strings.
*Optional: Add summer themed buttons to the front base piece as desired.
I really hope you enjoy this pattern! Don’t forget to add it to your favorites on Ravelry, so you can always find it!
And one last thing! You can get this pattern in an ad-free pdf on Ravelry for a small fee!
Written Pattern © 2017 Sonya Blackstone of Blackstone Designs. Please do not sell, share, or modify this pattern, but instead share the link to where the pattern can be found. You may sell items you make with this pattern. This pattern, as with all Blackstone Designs/Sonya Blackstone patterns, are not for educational use without written permission from the designer.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.