Mother’s Day gifts are a lot of fun to make! There are so many ways to personalize them to make them truly special, and this makes my crafty soul very happy!
This Wall Hanging Picture Frame is no exception. You can choose different yarn colors, ribbon color, you can paint the dowel, and you can decorate it with your recipient’s favorite flowers! You can even add gems for little pops of sparkle.
This pattern is for the 2019 Celebrate Mom Blog Hop hosted by Pattern Paradise! Each day in May, a different crochet designer will be featured and share a new free pattern with you! There are lots of fun prizes too, so come join the fun! For the list of designers and all the details, go to this post => 2019 Celebrate Mom Blog Hop & Giveaway
Use #CelebrateMomBlogHop on social media to share your finished projects!
Ready to make your own? Keep reading!
>> Who will you be making your frame for? Let me know in the comments!
Worsted Weight Yarn (#4)
- Any Colors
5/8” wide Spool of Ribbon
5/16” x 18” Wooden Dowel
Hot Glue Gun/Sticks
Not important for this project
Approximately 20″ Long
arnd = around
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
sc = single crochet
sl st(s) = slip stitch(es)
st(s) = stitch(es)
Written in U.S. Terms
- Beginning chains do not count as stitches.
- Where asterisks appear, repeat the instructions between them.
“M” (Make 2)
R1. Ch 4, sc in 2nd ch from hook and across, turn (3)
R2-16. Ch 1, sc across, turn (3) [Set Aside]
Repeat rows 1-16; continue to R17
R17. Turn and work down row ends on left edge: sl st x 1 (in the end of row 16), sc x 3 (ends of rows 15, 14, 13), turn (3 sc, 1 sl st)
R18. Ch 1, 2 sc, sc, sl st, turn (3 sc, 1 sl st)
R19. Ch 1, skip sl st, sl st, sc, 2 sc, turn (3 sc, 1 sl st)
R20. Ch 1, 2 sc, sc, sl st (leave last sl st unworked), turn (3 sc, 1 sl st)
R21. Repeat R19
R22. Ch 1, sc x 4, turn (4)
R23. Ch 1, 2 sc, sc, sl st (leave last sl st unworked), turn (3 sc, 1 sl st)
R24. Repeat R19
R25. Repeat R18.
R26. Ch 1, skip sl st, sc x 3; Fasten, leave long tail for sewing. (3)
Sew to the first leg of the “M” (part set aside). Sew to edge of rows 13, 14, & 15.
R27. Attach yarn to bottom corner of either leg: Ch 1, sc in same space as ch, sc in the end of each row and in each st arnd, placing 2 Sc’s in each corner, sc in same space as 1st sc, sl st to 1st sc; Fasten.
R1. Ch 30, join to form a ring (being careful not to twist your chain), sc in the back bump of each ch arnd, sl st to join, turn (30)
R2. Ch 1, *2 sc, sc x 2* arnd, sl st to join, turn (40)
R3. Ch 1, *2 sc, sc x 3* arnd, sl st to join, turn (50)
R4. Ch 1, *sl st, skip 1, 5 dc, skip 1, sl st* arnd; Fasten. (10 petals)
R1. Magic ring, ch 1, 10 dc in ring (10)
R2. 2 dc in each st arnd (20)
R3. *2 dc, dc* arnd (30)
R4. *2 dc, dc x 2* arnd (40)
R5. *2 dc, dc x 3* arnd; Fasten. (50)
- Glue “O” Backing to the center of the “O” frame, placing a thin line of glue 3/4 of the way around the outer edge of round 5.
- Cut 1 – 4 1/2″ piece of ribbon. Place a line of hot glue down the entire length of the ribbon, fold it in half over the center of the wooden dowel, and press the ends together.
- Cut 2 – 8″ pieces of ribbon. Place a line of glue down the 1st 2″ only, wrap over the wooden dowel, 4″ from the center ribbon, and press together. Place one on each side of the center ribbon.
- Cut 2 – 20″ pieces of ribbon. Glue ribbon to the “legs” of one “M” (one piece of ribbon on each side). Line up the “O” approximately 2″ down from the bottom of the first “M” and glue in place. Place the 2nd “M” approximately 2″ down from the “O” and glue in place.
- Glue florals in desired locations on ribbon.
- Tip: Cut ribbons pieces longer to have extra space to clip photos!
- Glue the center of the top “M” to the center ribbon piece.
- Cut 2 – 18″ pieces of yarn. Tie around the wooden dowel, one end on each side of outer ribbon pieces.
- Hide all strings.
- Insert photo in frame and pin photos to the bare ribbon. Note: I used a 2 1/2″ circle paper punch and this was the perfect photo size.
Hope to see you there!!
Written pattern and photographs © 2019 Sonya Blackstone of Blackstone Designs. Please do not sell, share, or modify this pattern, but instead share the link to where the pattern can be found. You may sell items you make with this pattern. This pattern, as with all Blackstone Designs/Sonya Blackstone patterns, are not for educational use without written permission from the designer.
Sonya Blackstone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.