Did you see my post yesterday featuring the Monster Ice Pop Holders? I designed them in the Summer of 2013 and the following Summer, I decided I needed something tailored towards my daughter.
So, I took some things little girls love, made them into appliques, and created the “Girly Ice Pop Holders”.
This post contains affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, I may receive a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links, which helps me to keep bringing awesome free content!
These popsicle covers are a great way to keep the little ones cool during the summer, without freezing tiny fingers! They are great for pool parties or summer birthday party favors. They are a huge hit with the kids!
I designed these Monster Ice Pop Holders for my boys, when they were small and they went wild for them!
Now, my daughter is just as excited to use popsicle covers! Truth be told, she likes the Monsters just as much as the “girly” designs!
I’ve been wanting to move this pattern over here for a while, but I could never find the time… until now!
Here’s how to make your own:
Worsted Weight Yarn (#4)
* 5-6 colors in scrap amounts
H/8/5.00mm Hook (Bases)
G/6/4.25mm Hook (Appliqués)
2- ½” Buttons
Not Important for this project
arnd = around
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
dec = decrease
Puff st. = See Special Stitches
sc = single crochet
sl st = slip stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
trc = treble crochet
Written in US Terms
* Beginning chains do not count as stitches
* Any glue can be used for this project; I prefer hot glue or E6000.
* Tutorial photos are at the end of the pattern.
Puff Stitch (Puff) – *Yarn Over (YO), insert hook in stitch, pull up a loop* 5x, YO, pull through all loops on hook.
BASE (H Hook)
1. Ch 11, join to form a ring, sc arnd, sl st to join (11)
2-7. Ch 2, dc arnd, sl st to join (11)
8. Ch 1, sc arnd; Fasten. (11)
BOW (G Hook)
With Main Color,
1. Ch 9, sc in 2nd ch from hook and across, turn (8)
2. Ch 1, sc across, turn (8)
3. Ch 1, sc across, then sc down side, across bottom, and up other side, sl st to join (20)
With Accent Color,
4. Ch 1, sl st arnd; Fasten. (20)
Leave long tail, carry over to the center of the rectangle and wrap tightly around to form the bow. Fasten.
Cut 4-4” strings, pull them through the back side of bow center. Leave to dangle.
HEART (G Hook)
Magic Ring, Ch 3, trc, dc x 2, ch 1, trc, ch 1, dc x 2, trc, ch 3, sl st, pull ring closed; Fasten. (7 sts, 2 ch-3)
FLOWER (G Hook)
Magic Ring, *Ch 3, trc x 2, sl st* 6X, pull ring closed; Fasten. (6 petals)
Magic Ring, *Ch 2, dc x 2, sl st* 6X, pull ring closed; Fasten. (6 petals)
Place inner flower on top of outer flower and sew a button to the middle to attach.
BUTTERFLY (G Hook)
Magic Ring, *Ch 3, trc x 3, sl st* 4X, pull ring closed; Fasten.
With a contrasting color: Cut an 8” string, wrap twice around center to create butterfly wings. Tie a knot at the top and cut to form antenna.
CUPCAKE (G Hook)
With Cake Color,
1. Ch 6, sc in 2nd ch from hook and across, turn (5)
2. Ch 1, 2 sc, sc x 3, 2 sc, turn (7)
3. Ch 1, sc across, turn (7)
With Frosting Color,
4. Ch 1, Puff st, *sc, Puff st* across, turn (7)
5. Ch 1, sc across, turn (7)
6. Ch 1, dec, sc x 3, dec, turn (5)
7. Ch 1, dec, sc, dec; Fasten. (3)
Sew a button so that half covers the center stitch and half stands over the top of cupcake.
* Attach appliqués to center base (they can be sewn or glued)
* Optional: Add “sprinkles” to cupcake frosting by weaving yarn in and out of stitches.
* Optional: Add stitch marks around the edge of the heart applique by weaving in and out of stitched around the edge only.
* Hide all strings.
So, what do you think? Let me know in the comments!
Hope to see you there!!
Written pattern and photographs © 2013 Sonya Blackstone of Blackstone Designs. Please do not sell, share, or modify this pattern, but instead share the link to where the pattern can be found. You may sell items you make with this pattern. This pattern, as with all Blackstone Designs/Sonya Blackstone patterns, are not for educational use without written permission from the designer.
Sonya Blackstone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.