Winter is here!
With cold weather upon us, I wanted to create a cowl that’s quick to make and fun to wear, but also isn’t too hot or bulky.
This post contains affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, I may receive a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links, which helps me to keep bringing awesome free content!
Then I remembered the simple stitch work I had played with a few months ago. It reminded me of the Colosseum! I knew it would be perfect paired up with some chunky yarn!
So, I grabbed my stash of Schachenmayr Lumio yarn (for the totally awesome reflective effect) and got started.
It’s made using 3 colors for a fun block look. You can wear it so one solid color is in front (3 to choose from) or center between two colors (3 combos to choose from) . That means there’s 6 different looks in one cowl!
It only took me a couple of hours to finish! The best part is, it’s easy enough for a beginner!
Here’s the pattern:
Yarn Needle (to hide strings)
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
RS = right side
sc = single crochet
One Size Fits All
Written in U.S. terms
- Beginning ch-4 (odd rows) count as 1st dc
- Beginning ch-1 (even rows) does not count as 1st sc
With Color A,
1. Ch 27, sk 4 ch, dc in next, *ch 1, sk 1, dc* across, ch 1, turn (13 dc, 12 sk sts)
2. (RS) sc in each st and ch-sp across, place last st in 3rd ch of turning ch, ch 4, turn (25)
3. sk 1st 2 scs, dc in next, *ch 1, sk 1, dc* across, ch 1, turn (13 dc, 12 sk sts)
4. sc in each st and ch-sp across, place last st in 3rd ch of turning ch, ch 4, turn (25)
5-14. Repeat 3 & 4
With Color B,
15-28. Repeat rows 3 & 4
With Color C,
29-42. Repeat rows 3 & 4. Fasten at the end of row 42 and turn.
Cut 3 – 35″ strands of yarn (one of each color) and braid them together and tie off each side. Leave long tails after the knots to look like tassels.
Optional: Chain 100 using one strand.
- With wrong side up (and right sides together), hold the short ends together and sl st across, working through both layers. Keeping in mind that one row will be all sc and the other will be dc and ch-sps.
- Weave tie in and out of odd numbered rows (dcs)
I hope you enjoyed this cowl pattern. Don’t forget to add it to your favorites on Ravelry so you can always find it!
Come join the fun in Blackstone Designs Crochet Community on Facebook!
Written pattern © 2016 Sonya Blackstone of Blackstone Designs. Please do not sell, share, or modify this pattern, but instead share the link to where the pattern can be found. You may sell items you make with this pattern. This pattern, as with all Blackstone Designs/Sonya Blackstone patterns, are not for educational use without written permission from the designer.
Sonya Blackstone is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.