Needing a quick gift for those holiday parties? Here’s a fast and easy treat bag that can also be used for gift cards!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links
I absolutely LOVE gift card holders! Gift cards make the best (and let’s be honest, easiest) gifts because the recipient can choose their own gift and you know they will actually like it!
But, this treat bag can be used for so much more and the handle is perfect for hanging directly on the tree!
Here are some other items that fit perfectly inside these bags:
1. Candy (I was able to fit 10 mint discs. I’m sure more could fit, but it does start to get heavy)
2. Lip Balm
3. Mini Lotion
5. Deck of Cards (Cribbage anyone?)
6. Ring Box (Christmas proposals are the sweetest!)
7. Crochet Hooks (Fits 5-6 Clover Amour hooks!)
8. Gift Cards
9. Event Tickets
10. Cash (because who doesn’t love that?!!)
Here’s how to make your own:
Christmas Candy Treat Bag
Get the Ad-Free PDF on Ravelry!
Worsted Weight Yarn (#4)
- White – 50 yards
- Red or Green – 50 yards
Hot Glue Gun/Sticks
- Candy Cane Buttons
Not important for this project
4.5” wide from trim to trim
4.25” tall from top to bottom of trim
3.5” x 3.5” panels, no trim
arnd = around
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
sk = skip
sl st(s) = slip stitch(es)
st(s) = stitch(es)
trc = treble crochet
Written in US Terms
- Beginning chains do not count as stitches on panels.
- Candy applique is worked in the round with no joins or chains.
- When working candy applique, the last stitch with white will be finished by pulling through the colored strand and the last colored stitch will be worked by pulling through the white strand. Please see photo below for better explanation.
- Tutorial photos are at the end of the pattern.
PANEL (Make 2)
1. Ch 13, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn (12)
2. Ch 1, sc across, turn (12)
3-14. Repeat row 2
With Red or Green,
Hold Panels together, attach yarn to top left corner, working through both layers:
15. Ch 1, sc in same space as join, sc in end of each row down the side, each st across the bottom, and end of each row up the other side (working through both layers to join the panels together), turn (40)
16. With Red or Green, Ch 3; With White, attach to 2nd st and ch 3:: *Bring colored ch-3 behind white ch-3 and sl st to next unworked st, ch 3; bring white ch-3 behind colored ch-3 and sl st to next unworked st* repeat arnd edge. Fasten. <SEE PHOTO>
1. With White: Magic ring, ch 1, 6 sc in ring (9)
2. *1 sc white, 1 sc red* in each st arnd (12)
3. *1 sc white, 2 sc red* arnd (18)
4. *2 sc white, 1 sc red x 2* arnd (24)
5. *2 sc white, 1 sc white, 1 sc red x 2* arnd, sl st to 1st sc; Fasten. (30) <SEE PHOTO>
Cut 3 -15” strands of Red or Green and 3 – 15” strands of white. Hold all 6 strands together and tie a knot in one end. Separate into 3 groups of 2 (one white with one colored); braid them.
- Insert hook in top left corner stitch, from the inside of the bag out, pull the handle through stitch (by untied end), insert hook in top right corner from outside of bag, pull the handle out. Tie a knot on untied end. Trim tails to even them out. <SEE PHOTO>
- Glue candy applique to front center of bag over rows 3-12.
- Hide all strings.
Shop Amazon Warehouse Deals – Deep Discounts on Open-box and Used PCs
Looking for another simple gift card holder? Check out my Fete Gift Card Holder pattern!
Hope to see you there!!
Written pattern and photographs © 2017 Sonya Blackstone of Blackstone Designs. Please do not sell, share, or modify this pattern, but instead share the link to where the pattern can be found. You may sell items you make with this pattern. This pattern, as with all Blackstone Designs/Sonya Blackstone patterns, are not for educational use without written permission from the designer.
Blackstone Designs is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.